There’s few things more American than a good chili dog, am I right? With this homemade chili dog recipe, it’s going to be your go-to party food. Heck, you don’t even need a game or any particular occasion to celebrate so just have everyone come over for a chili dog party.
Best Chili Dog Recipe
Yeah, we’ve all been to those places with the greasy chili dogs that get your hands all messy. But when you make it yourself, that messy goodness is better than any other chili dog you’ve ever had. At least you know where this chili has been but that diner? Exactly.
Easy Chili Dog Recipe
How long do you think it takes to make a chili dog? It’s only 35 minutes from start to finish for this hot dog chili recipe! That’s fast enough for any night, and great for any party since you won’t be stuck missing out on all the action cooking up the food.
Homemade Chili Dog Ingredients
- Hot dogs and buns – Well, of course! They are the mighty vessel for your chili!
- Ground beef – Grab 90/10 lean.
- Brown sugar – Creates a sweet-savory balance.
- Sweet onion – It’s sweet yet savory in and of itself, a perfect match.
- Tomato sauce – How else would your chili LOOK like chili?
- Beef broth – More beefy flavors are added with this.
- Chili dog seasoning – You’ll need chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, yellow mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. For spice lovers, add cayenne pepper.
- Cheese topping (optional) – Did somebody say chili cheese dog? Yes, please!
How do you Make a Chili Dog from Scratch?
To make homemade hot dog chili, get a pot going on medium high heat to brown the beef and onions. Once no longer pink, drain the fat. Then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low-medium for 25 minutes or until it’s nice and thick. Set it aside and keep it warm while you cook your hot dogs and toast your buns. Then assemble them together, spooning the chili on top along with your favorite toppings.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chilli Dog Every Time
- Get good hotdogs. Seriously, buy the best ones they’ve got. It makes all the difference when making this hot dog chili recipe.
- Don’t put beans in this chilli. Keep it like that Texas-style chili and make it all meaty for the best chili dog.
- Toast your buns. I mean, you don’t have to but they will stand up to the chili better that way.
What is a hot dog with chili called?
A hot dog with chili on top is called a chili dog, quite possibly one of the greatest food combinations of our lifetime.
What’s the difference between a Coney dog and a chili dog?
Believe it or not, the Coney Island hot dogs have a meat sauce, but it’s not chili. Those are also topped with onions and yellow mustard. A chili dog is topped with true chili plus usually cheese or cheese sauce.
What is the difference between hot dog sauce and chili?
Chili for hot dogs tends to have a little more sweetness than chili you’d usually have on its own.
What is hot dog chili sauce made of?
Chili sauce for hot dogs is made with beef, onions, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and an array of seasonings that smother the hot dog with a great topping.
How can I thicken my chili dog sauce?
If the tips in the recipe still haven’t given you a thick enough chili for your chili dog, add a cornstarch slurry and stir. This should make it even thicker.
What’s the best canned chili for chili dogs?
Many people like Hormel’s canned chili, but the best chili is the chili you make from scratch. You won’t be eating processed ingredients in your chili when it’s fresh.
How do you doctor up a hot dog with chili?
Ideally, you will make your chili dog with homemade chili. From there, you can add shredded cheddar, diced onions, relish, mustard, or any other topping you choose.
What’s the best way to cook hot dogs for chili dogs?
Cook your hot dogs on the grill or in the skillet. This will give them the best taste rather than boiling them.
What goes well with a Chili Dog?
If you’re going all out with chili dogs, serve up the right sides. Potato salad, fries (either regular or sweet potato), corn on the cob, salad, coleslaw, pickles, and baked beans are all awesome.
How to store Chili Dogs?
Once everyone is full and the chili is cool, you’ll need to put the chili separately in an airtight container. Keep it in the fridge along with those hot dogs too, but make sure you don’t throw them all together.
How long do Chili Dogs last?
Cooked hot dogs can go about 4 days in the fridge. You do not want to leave any chili dogs assembled in the fridge because they won’t taste awesome like that. Keep all the ingredients separate and assemble them when you’re ready to eat.
Can you freeze Chili Dogs?
You can freeze hot dogs, and you can freeze chili, but I don’t recommend you freeze chili dogs. I’ve seen some people say you can but that’s a no from me here.
How to reheat Chili Dogs?
Simply get those dogs sizzling on the grill or stovetop, warm up your hot dog buns in the toaster, and heat the chili on the stove, then assemble them to perfection again.
Watch How To Make Chili Dogs (Video)
Chuck's Chili Dog Recipe
- 1 package traditional hot dogs
- 1 package hot dog buns
- 1 lb ground beef (90/10 lean)
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth or stock
- 1 tsp salt (divided)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, spicy!)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional topping)
- sour cream (optional topping)
- red onion (chopped, optional topping)
- hot sauce (optional topping)
- Heat a pot on the stove over medium high heat and brown your ground beef and onions until no longer pink. Once cooked, drain out any excess fat drippings.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients and simmer over low-medium heat for 25 minutes or until the liquid has cooked down and the chili reaches a nice thick consistency. Set aside and keep warm.
- Cook your hot dogs either on a grill or skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Toast your hot dog bun to add a crispy texture and taste. Then spoon your chili over cooked hot dogs, add your favorite toppings and enjoy!