Ok, so it’s technically not chili, but chili sauce is one of those slammin’ sauces you need in your kitchen. It’s more or less spicy ketchup that really kicks it up on those party apps you throw down for everyone at your gatherings or for yourself when you want a hot dog with heat. Even on ribs, this chili sauce recipe is the ultimate champ so you’d better make some!
Best Chili Sauce Recipe
Sure, they’ve got chili sauce ready to go at the store, like ketchup. But making it yourself is just as easy as buying it. Plus, it tastes so much better too. There’s no artificial aftertaste so you’ll be the sauce boss for sure!
Easy Chili Sauce Recipe
All it takes to make this kickin’ chili sauce recipe is 20 minutes from beginning to end. Come on – you can’t even drive to the store, walk in and grab a bottle, pay for it, and drive home faster than that! Plus, this tastes better than any bottled chili sauce!
Chili Sauce Ingredients
- Tomato paste – This is where we start for our chili sauce.
- Water – Helps you get the right texture with the sauce.
- Brown sugar – Oh yeah, that sweetness you need.
- Apple cider vinegar – Adds a nice tang. If you don’t have it though, you can use white vinegar.
- Honey – Works with that brown sugar to balance the sweet side.
- Worcestershire sauce – Brings in that full-on savory flavor.
- Seasonings – You’ll need garlic powder, red pepper flakes, ground allspice, ground cloves, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper.
How do you Make Chili Sauce from Scratch?
You’ll pour all your ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whisk them well. Then pour this all into a small pot on your stove, simmering over medium-low for roughly 15 minutes. Add water as you need it to get it to the consistency you want it whether you prefer your sauce thinner or thicker. You’ll then let it cool, cover it, and put it in the fridge.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chilli Sauce Every Time
- Combine the ingredients first. This will make sure the flavors incorporate.
- Keep it to a simmer and stir often. You don’t want to scorch the bottom of your sauce now do you?
- Choose your desired texture. Some people like thinner chili sauce while others like it nice and thick. Whatever you like, add that water a little at a time to get it there. Patience is key when making this chilli sauce recipe just right!
What is the difference between ketchup and chili sauce?
They’re very similar in texture and format. While both ketchup and chili sauce have a tomato base, chili sauce has a warm spiciness to it. Meanwhile ketchup is not at all spicy.
What is chili sauce made from?
Chili sauce is made from tomato paste, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, honey, smoked paprika, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, ground allspice, ground cloves, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Water is also used to manage the consistency of the sauce.
How to Cook Chili Sauce?
Chili sauce is made on your stovetop over low and slow heat. It couldn’t be easier!
Do you have to peel tomatoes for chili sauce?
If you were using fresh tomatoes, then you’d need to peel them. But why go to that kind of trouble? This recipe shows you how to make homemade chili sauce with a can of tomato paste and other ingredients.
Which is the best chili sauce?
It all depends on your taste preferences as there are many popular chili sauce brands out there. But the best chili sauce will surely be the one you make yourself because it has all fresh ingredients that give it the best taste.
What can be substituted for chili sauce?
What you can substitute for chili sauce will largely depend what you’re planning to use your chili sauce on or the type of recipe you’re adding it into, though chili sauce can be subbed by sriracha, harissa, spicy ketchup, or even a spicy tomato sauce.
What goes well with Chili Sauce?
Chili sauce is an awesome condiment that I love to throw down with grilled meats. It’s perfect for dipping anything from fries to quesadillas. You can smother meatballs in it for an appetizers for game day or glaze your meatloaf with it. And it makes a spicy way to replace ketchup for something different, if you dare!
How to store Chili Sauce?
This homemade chili sauce needs to be kept in your fridge. Cover it well so it keeps!
How long does Chili Sauce last?
It all depends on how well you contain your chili sauce. If you put it in an airtight jar or bottle, it can last about 3 months.
Can you freeze Chili Sauce?
You sure can! Again, you’ll have to make sure it’s properly packaged and then you’ll be able to keep it well for a good 6 months.
How to thaw Chili Sauce?
Take it out of the freezer, pop it in the fridge overnight, and hooo! You’ll have your chili sauce ready to go!
Watch How To Make Chili Sauce (Video)
Homemade Chili Sauce Recipe
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or to taste (sub white vinegar))
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika is ok)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup water (for thinning, more as needed)
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and whisk together until evenly combined.
- Pour your chili sauce into a small pot and simmer over medium low heat for about 15 minutes to reduce and let the flavors combine. Add water as needed to reach desired consistency. More water for a thinner sauce.
- Let sauce cool and store covered in the refrigerator.