Whether there’s a nascar race, a big game, or even just some TV show you love following on, moments like those call for a killer serving of this loaded chili cheese fries recipe. As if fries couldn’t get any better! They do with chili and cheese smothered on top. Fortunately, this recipe will feed 8 people, or you can hoard it all to yourself!
Best Chili Cheese Fries Recipe
Think about the best chili cheese fries you’ve ever had. That stuff didn’t come out of some can on a dusty shelf somewhere. The chili was made from scratch. And that’s what we’re going to do here. Yeah, we’ll cheat by using frozen fries, but they’re merely the vessel to contain your mighty mountain of chili and cheese.
Chilli Cheese Fries Ingredients
- French fries – Buy a 32-ounce frozen bag of ‘em.
- Shredded cheddar – To top those fries.
- Ground beef – Use 90/10 lean.
- Red kidney beans – Just one can drained and rinsed is all you need.
- Brown sugar – Balances with a bit of sweetness.
- Sweet onion – Rounds out that chili.
- Tomato sauce – Gives the chili that red-based sauce.
- Beef broth – Helps create the ideal texture while adding more beefy flavor.
- Chilli Cheese fries seasoning – You’ll need yellow mustard, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. If you want it spicy, add cayenne pepper too.
Easy Chili Cheese Fries Recipe
Even if everyone decided last-minute to come to your house, you can whip up these easy chili cheese fries in under an hour. And if no one is coming over, you can still make them that quickly, so why not make them all for yourself?
How do you Make Chili Cheese Fries from Scratch?
You’ll start it all on the stove, browning the ground beef and onions over medium-high. Drain fat away, then stir in the rest of the ingredients, simmering over low-medium for about 15 to 20 minutes. The liquid should have cooked down and the chili should be thick. Let it sit while keeping it warm. Meanwhile, get the fries going in the oven by following your package’s instructions. Once the fries are done, remove them from the oven and turn the heat to 400F. Spoon the chili over the fries and top with the cheese. Put in the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until that cheese is nice and melty. Serve with your favorite toppings immediately.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chili Cheese Fries Every Time
- Choose large-cut fries. These will stand up better to the chili than skinny shoestring style fries.
- Make your chili in advance to save time. Then all you’ve got to do is warm it up, wait for the fries to cook, top the fries with chili and cheese, and enjoy!
- Choose good quality cheese. It really matters because subpar cheese just doesn’t melt as well.
- Serve them immediately. While you can prep the chili in advance, don’t put the whole dish together until everyone you’re serving is there or the fries will become soggy and the whole thing will lose its magic.
Where did chili cheese fries originate?
Several states have tried to stake a claim on being the place of origin for chili cheese fries. Those states are Texas, New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia, each one with their own unique twist.
Who has the best chili cheese fries?
One of your local restaurants probably has the best chili cheese fries, until you make them yourself with this recipe. Then you will realize you can make them any time you want in heaping proportions.
What are chili cheese fries made of?
Chili cheese fries are made with frozen French fries that are baked according to the package, then topped with chili and cheese. This recipe shows you how to make the best chili for this party food.
What do you put on top of chili cheese fries?
You can put sour cream, more cheese, red onions, jalapenos, hot sauce, crispy bacon, cilantro, black olives, or really anything you like when you make your own chili cheese fries.
What goes well with Chili Cheese Fries?
Make it a meal with a salad and some garlic bread. Or just top your chili cheese fries with even more cheese, sour cream, chopped red onions, or hot sauce.
How to store Chili Cheese Fries?
If you have any leftovers at all (I never do) you’ve got to put them in an airtight container in your fridge. Don’t leave chili cheese fries out for longer than 2 hours.
How long do Chili Cheese Fries last?
You can keep your chili cheese fries in the fridge for about 4 to 5 days.
Can you freeze Chili Cheese Fries?
Nah, I wouldn’t do that. You can freeze the leftover chili though, which would be good for about 3 to 4 months.
How to reheat Chili Cheese Fries?
Put your leftovers from the fridge on a lined baking sheet, then bake at 400F for about 5 minutes until it’s all warm and bubbly again.
Watch How To Make Chili Cheese Fries (Video)
Chuck's Classic Chili Cheese Fries Recipe
- 32oz frozen french fries
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef (90/10 lean)
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth or stock
- 1 tsp salt (divided)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, spicy!)
- sour cream (optional topping)
- red onion (chopped, optional topping)
- hot sauce (optional topping)
- Heat a pot on the stove over medium high heat and brown your ground beef and onions until no longer pink. Once cooked, drain out any excess fat drippings.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients and simmer over low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid has cooked down and the chili reaches a nice thick consistency. Set aside and keep warm.
- Lightly coat a baking with cooking spray or oil. Bake the french fries in the oven in a single layer on a sheet pan following the instructions on the package.
- When done, remove the baking sheet a of fries from the oven and turn the oven heat to 400F.
- You can finish the fries on a sheet pan, or transfer them to an oven-safe dish or skillet for and spoon 1 1/2 cups of chili over the fries, then top with cheddar cheese.
- Place the fries back into the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Add your favorite toppings if desired (shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped red onions, hot sauce) and serve immediately.