Want an instant way to make chili throw the smackdown on your table? Then make this chili seasoning recipe. It’s got all that punch of flavor you can use anytime that tastes like cookoff-winning chili every time without coming from one of those lame seasoning pouches.
Best Chili Seasoning Recipe
When you’ve got chili seasoning, you can make chili that bursts with full flavor every time. And this is the best there is – full of everything savory to make any pot of chili a thing of beauty.
Easy Chili Seasoning Recipe
Having this easy chili seasoning on hand when you go to make chili will cut your prep work down every time. Plus, this perfect blend of chili spices adds balanced flavor every time!
Homemade Chili Seasoning Ingredients
- Chili powder – It is the quintessential seasoning for any chili.
- Smoked paprika – This gives your chili a nice, smoky flavor.
- Ground coriander – Adds a bit of a citrusy taste for balance.
- Ground cumin – For that nutty, earthy taste.
- Garlic powder – Gives your chili that garlic taste without having to chop it up yourself.
- Onion powder – Works along with the garlic powder for that pungent and savory flavor.
- Cayenne pepper – This one is spicy, so if you’d rather keep things mild, leave it out or use less for a hint of spice.
- Salt and pepper – Staple chili spices in any chili recipe.
How do you Make Chili Seasoning from Scratch?
To make this homemade chili seasoning mix recipe, grab your measuring spoons and add each spice in the exact required measurements. Stir it together and then either add to your chili or store it in an airtight container to use when the mood for chili strikes.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chili Seasoning Every Time
- Customize your spice. If you prefer milder chili, either leave out the cayenne pepper or use less than the amount measured here.
- Make sure your spices are fresh. If you have had the same jars of spices in your cabinet for years, it’s time to replace them. Old spices won’t lend the same boost to your chili.
- Regular paprika is fine too. If you don’t have smoked paprika, you can use the regular stuff.
- Store it right. To keep it fresh for next time, stash it in a jar and keep it in a dark, cool, and dry place like your pantry so it maintains the flavors.
What is chili seasoning made of?
Chili seasoning is made with chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
What is chili mix made of?
Chili mix is made of the same kinds of seasonings in this chili seasoning recipe. There’s chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cumin that tend to be common in most chili mixes.
Is chili powder the same as chili mix?
No, however, chili powder is included in chili mix. It is an essential ingredient when seasoning your chili.
What is the difference between chili powder and chili seasoning?
Quite simply, all chili contains chili powder. It is a crucial element for chili seasoning mixes too because chili powder is one of the most important ingredients to add when making chili.
Is chili seasoning mix the same as chili powder?
No, it’s not the same though chili seasoning mix does contain chili powder in it. Chili powder is what gives chili that special flavor.
How do you make seasoning from scratch?
Just follow this recipe and combine the seasonings that include chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and coriander.
What is the best secret ingredient for chili?
You can’t have good chili without chili powder. It is the staple spice that must go in any proper chili seasoning.
What spices go well in chili?
Savory and spicy seasonings bode best for chili. These create layers of flavor with things like garlic powder and onion powder lifting off with chili powder and smoked paprika. They all play their own role in bringing out flavors.
What are the best spices to add to chili?
All the spices in this chili seasoning recipe are the best ones for chili. That’s chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Don’t forget the salt and pepper either!
What spices give chili its flavor?
That would be the chili powder. It has that signature taste that gives chili the flavor you love.
How to store Chili Seasoning?
Chili seasoning should be kept in an airtight container or bag at room temperature.
How long does Chili Seasoning last?
The sooner you use your chili seasoning, the better. It will be good for up to 6 months, and you can certainly use it after that, though it will have a bolder and fresher flavor before 6 months.
Watch How To Make Chili Seasoning (Video)
Chili Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika (regular paprika is ok)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, spicy!)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Using measuring spoons, measure out each of the individual spices and combine in a bowl to use in your chili recipe.
- Store any unused dry chili seasoning mix in an airtight storage bag or container for future use.